Uncategorized

On this day: Devastation of Pompeii

In the year of 79 AD, on 24 August, Pompeii met its end. The nearby volcano, Mount Vesuvius erupted and demolished the flourishing town with its cottages, vineyards, baths and its inhabitants. Besides Pompeii, another two habitats, Herculaneum and Stabiae fell victim to the raging Vesuvius.

The examined human remains revealed that 38 percent of the victims, found in the ash fall deposit, were killed by roof collapses. The remaining 62% were blasted by the pyroclastic surges containing superheated gas and rock that swept through the town at about 100 km/h (60 mph) and scorched everything.

Find more interesting stories in our monthly magazine.
Click on www.myhistorydigest.com

8

Advertisements
Standard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s